Monday, June 1, 2009

My Turn

I am sick and tired of hearing about Susan Boyle, and all the other "novelty acts" spawned by American Idol, Britain's Got Talent, etc.

While I detest reality television in general, I knew I'd had enough of this one when I saw the travails of the Britain's Got Talent contender on the Friday news bulletin on France's TV5. That's one place where I shouldn't have had to see it, but there it was!

Thinking of such shows I do feel a certain amount of sympathy for those trying to get "their fifteen minutes of fame" this way, but also utter disgust at the humiliation and exploitation that go along with it, and for the programming that results from it in general. That Simon Cowell is making eight figures a year from working his execrable show(s) is an absolute outrage.

And no, I don't feel the least bit guilty about this bit of "heckling"-especially given that Cowell is himself as nasty a heckler as one is ever likely to face.

No comments:

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon