Sunday, November 8, 2009

November IROSF Out

The November edition of the Internet Review of Science Fiction is online now.

I particularly recommend Nicholas Kaufmann's second "Dead Air" column, "The Genre on the Doorstep"; and Sue Burke's "From Best-Seller to Oblivion," a discussion of the Peninsular romance Amadis of Gaul.

I also have a piece in there, "The Rise and Fall of the Military Techno-Thriller," in which I discuss the Tom Clancy-style techno-thriller's history, influences and cultural impact, particularly in relation with the broader science fiction tradition it is so rarely recognized as being a part of. (By far the longest piece I've penned for IROSF, it is something of a companion to my article "Revisiting the Victorian Techno-thriller" in Strange Horizons last February.)

1 comment:

dd-b said...

Enjoyed the techno-thriller article. I know the SF side better than the techno side, so mostly I have to just accept your comparisons (though I've read the Hacket and the Clancy, and find myself agreeing with you on those).

One minor factual error -- Doc Smith's hero in the Skylark books is Richard Seaton, not Robert as you said in the article.

Particularly since you get briefly into Weber, I'm a little surprised you didn't mention John Ringo, who has published both SF (including with Weber) and contemporary military action-adventure.

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon